Huge Google Search

Monday, March 23, 2009

Formula 1: Hamilton reveals hunger for title

Page last updated at 09:56 GMT, Monday, 23 March 2009

Lewis Hamilton
Hamilton pipped Ferrari's Felipe Massa to the 2008 F1 drivers' title

Lewis Hamilton is desperate to overcome McLaren's problems during pre-season testing and go on to successfully defend his Formula 1 world title.

The team have struggled with several aerodynamic issues ahead of Sunday's season-opener in Australia, leaving them trailing behind their rivals.

However, Hamilton is confident those problems are now behind them and says he is determined to lead the way again.

"My hunger to win a second title is as great as for the first," he said.

"It's really an amazing feeling. I want to train more. I've never wanted to train so much.

"I'm knocking on (personal trainer) Adam (Costanzo's) door early in the morning and he's like 'What are you doing here?'

I'm very happy with what I've achieved but now is the beginning of something new

Lewis Hamilton

"He's already seen the differences. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and now I can enjoy my driving again and start churning away like I did in 2007.

"I can't wait to get into the season now. I want to win more, be more consistent."

Hamilton won the 2008 title in dramatic fashion as he pipped Ferrari's Felipe Massa at the final race of the season in Brazil.

However, McLaren have admitted they face a race against time to get their new MP4-24 car to the same level of their rivals before the campaign starts.

The final pre-season testing in Jerez, Spain last week proved that the Woking-based team are heading in the right direction as Heikki Kovalainen improved to within half a second of Williams' Kazuki Nakajima, who set a fastest time of one minute 17.494.

Hamilton was a couple of seconds off the pace, but believes he will be in a position to challenge when the team touches down in Melbourne.

606: DEBATE
Arkimsa

"I'm very happy with what I've achieved but now is the beginning of something new," insisted the 24-year-old Englishman.

"When I look back on my career I see that every year I've improved. In every category I've always won a championship in my second year.

"Throughout my life that's been the way and it's the same in F1 as I won the title in my second year.

"I know now I'm already better than I was last year, physically, mentally and with the balance in my life.

"So, if things continue to get better, and I continue to improve my driving and the understanding of the car, then I see no reason why we can't win more."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Classic World